I had come up with several ideas for my final project and am not sure which direction I'm going to go with yet. But here are the ones that are most interesting to me:
1. Do a multimedia presentation (like powerpoint) on the poverty in and around Jerusalem. I would like to incorporate videos and reports on the issue. I would also incorporate what the US and allies of Israel are doing about it, if anything.
2. I also thought about doing a project focused on fundamentalist Christians, found primarily in the US, supporting Jewish settlement of Jerusalem. I would like to focus on the reasons why, which will draw upon the history of Jerusalem, as well as how that manifests itself today (i.e. monetary donations, lobbying, etc.).
Rachel, your ideas sound great! I'm especially fond of your second idea, because I don't know much about the topic but am very interested in it. I just remember when I was interning in DC, I was eating at a restaurant and suddenly I saw all these people streaming in with lanyards saying "Christians United for Israel" hanging around their necks. It would be interesting to learn about their political influence as well.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I have always been fascinated with the general Christian obsession toward Jews occupying Israel, maybe because I grew up around it in the town I was from. I never really understood it from my personal religious perspective, so I think it would be great to research, as I have a pretty good academic grasp on it. I am really interested in seeing how influential they really are. I always viewed them as sort of outliers, but I think they're much more common than I thought.
DeleteBrian,
ReplyDeleteComing from DC I have frequently seen these groups around town. I also have seen them on tours while I was in Israel, they are truly fascinating and I look forward to Rachel's project to learn more about them.